Tuesday 25 March 2014

Queenscliff Marine Discovery Centre

Today we are at the Marine Discovery Centre at Queenscliff. I lived here for one year when I was four. They have a large touch tank and we were able to go into the education section used for schools. Then we went to the Point Lonsdale beach to look in the rock pools and Buckleys Cave. 


I'm looking at a huge elephant snail in the touch tanks. 


I think Jacob is looking at a large whelk snail. He is very curious about it. 


Dad, Jacob and I digging down underneath the rocks for creatures. Heaps in there. 


We were the only people in the centre, so the lady said it was ok to explore in the education section also. Wow, I wasn't expecting so many wonderful things. 


This is a seal vertebrae I was trying to piece together. 


Great specimen of a seal skull. There was also a large piece of seal skin to feel.


A piece of Baleen. I’d love a whale vertebrae this big in my collection.


Jacob and I in the sand at Point Lonsdale beach. I’m explaining how erosion works.


We discovered some fossils in the rock behind me. Dad thought it might be petrified tree roots.


This one is hollow so I think it would be bone.


On the other side of the beach near the lighthouse and jetty are the rock pools. Jacob is excited.


Under this lighthouse there is a cave known as Buckley’s cave. Some say it’s unlikely he lived in this cave.


William Buckley was a convict who escaped and made his way to Point Lonsdale where he sheltered in a cave and survived on shellfish for several months. His survival was dependent on the help and kindness of the Indigenous people.

No comments:

Post a Comment