Tuesday 22 April 2014

Streaky Bay and Surrounds

We explored a few different places around Streaky Bay and camped at Speeds Point, which was nestled in the sand dunes only a few metres from the cliffs. It’s very secluded, with only 5 camp sites, and we were lucky enough to get the last site. It’s definitely one of my favourite spots, even though I didn’t catch any fish.



The Pelicans at Venus Bay allowed me to get up really close; I love Pelicans. I also found a Chimera egg casing on this beach. I have learnt that a Chimera is also known as an Elephant Fish.


Point Labatt has a large colony of Australian Sea Lions. Year after year, they lie, breed and die here on this beach and rock platform. Only 12,000 Sea Lions are known to exist worldwide.


We had our lunch with the Sea Lions and watched a mother suckling her pup. Pups are born every 18 months and weigh around 7kg. They depend entirely on their mother for milk for a whole year.


Using my binoculars, I could also see Seals at the back of the rock platform.


We watched a Sea Lion swimming around this shallow rock pool. He was quite big, so I think it was a male.



These are very large sand dunes which were on the way into our camp site. I’ve never seen dunes this high before.


Dad getting the fire ready. It was windy on top of the cliff, but the fire was safely contained in the rocks.


The sun is setting over the ocean. You can see the dunes behind us and the ocean is only a few metres in front of me. Our van is nestled right in the dune, protected from the wind.


This is the view of the bay, looking to the left, as the sun was setting. We climbed down a few rocks to get to the water.


This is the view of the bay, looking to the right, of a few boats out fishing. Jacob is having fun collecting rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment