Thursday 17 April 2014

Cowell South Australia

Cowell was our first experience of Mangroves on our trip. There we did a Mangrove boardwalk and some exploring around the Mangroves when the tide was out. We found a book called ‘Life in the Mangroves’ at the Esperance Library book sale.


We read in the book that some Mangrove trees shed excess salt through the pores in the leaves, leaving salt crystals. I was excited to see for myself.


Jacob, Dad and I on the boardwalk at the Mangrove habitat.


We spotted small colourful crabs in the mud amongst the peg roots. I haven’t seen this one before.


I think this is a White Mangrove, which is the most common Mangrove found along the coast of Australia. It is the only Mangrove that can grow in cold climates of Victoria and South Australia. It has peg roots, which grow vertically up through the mud, helping the tree to breathe in salty places.


Here you can see the salt crystals on the mangrove leaf. I also tasted it! I’m sure bats would like these on very hot days when they needed salt.


Searching through new habitat which was very muddy, unlike rock pooling.


I found this very small fish; it’s beautiful and reminds me of a Mudskipper.


Dad searching under rocks for crabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment